Cost-Effective IT Infrastructure
Lenovo servers power business-critical deployments with world-class quality and innovation. Microsoft server software delivers productivity and efficiency throughout your business. The combination of Lenovo servers and Microsoft Windows Server® 2012 R2 will help you deliver and manage a cost-effective IT infrastructure—both physical and virtual. Windows Server 2012 R2 also helps you provide users with secure access from almost any place and any device, giving them the flexibility to stay productive while on the go.
A Variety of Choices
Increase the reliability and flexibility of your server infrastructure with a choice of Windows Server 2012 R2 editions available for Lenovo servers. Key features and enhancements span cloud computing, virtualization, networking, storage, automation, user experience, and more. And with the Windows Server 2012 R2 simplified licensing experience, it’s easier than ever to determine the right Windows Server edition for your organization—just choose from the editions below.
- Datacenter Edition offers enterprise-class capabilities for highly-virtualized and private cloud environments. This option is available from Lenovo and comes with Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization technology, including an unlimited number of virtual Windows Server operating system instances and support for two physical processors. You can also purchase additional Datacenter Edition licenses in two-CPU increments to accommodate servers with four or more CPUs. Simply purchase the base Datacenter Edition license and the number of additional Datacenter licenses needed to accommodate the number of CPUs in your Lenovo server.
- Standard Edition is designed to improve reliability and flexibility of your slightly virtualized or non-virtualized server infrastructure. This edition comes with Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization technology, including two virtual instances of the Windows Server operating system and supports two physical processors. You can also purchase additional Standard licenses in two-CPU increments to accommodate servers with four or more CPUs or virtual instances. Simply purchase the base Standard license and the number of additional Standard licenses needed to accommodate the number of CPUs or virtual instances in your Lenovo server.
- Storage Edition is designed to provide highly available network-attached storage (NAS) and NAS gateways and is available from Lenovo with support for two physical processors. Note that client access licenses (CALs) are not required and unlimited external connections are allowed. You can also purchase additional licenses in two-CPU increments to accommodate servers with four or more CPUs. Simply purchase the base Windows Storage license and the number of additional Windows Storage licenses needed to accommodate the number of CPUs in your Lenovo server.
- The Essentials and Foundation Editions are designed to run most business applications and provide dependable and affordable Windows Server technology. The Essentials Edition is for either uniprocessor or two-socket servers and comes with 25 user accounts. No additional CALs are required. The Foundation edition is for uniprocessor servers and comes with 15 user accounts. No additional CALs are required for this version either.
Client Access Licenses for Windows Server 2012
Windows Server Client Access Licenses (CALs) are required for every user or device accessing a server. Customers can purchase Windows Server 2012 CALs from Lenovo either for every device (used by any user) accessing their servers, or for every named user accessing their servers (from any device). Windows Server 2012 CALs are designed for both Windows Server 2012 and for Windows Server 2012 R2 editions, as well as for any earlier editions. The option to choose between the two types of Windows CALs offers you the flexibility to use the licensing that best suits the needs of your organization. For example:
- Windows Device CALs might make most economic and administrative sense for an organization with multiple users for one device, such as shift workers
- Windows User CALs might make most sense for an organization with many roaming employees that need access to the corporate network from unknown devices and/or employees who access the network via multiple devices
Depending on your Microsoft application solution, such as Exchange Server or SQL Server, the purchase of an additional Microsoft CAL may be required.
For your end-user remote access to a Windows Client OS from a Windows Server OS, a Remote Desktop Services (RDS) CAL is required. Like Windows Server CALs, RDS CALs come in User and Device versions. Both User and Device RDS CALS are available from Lenovo. The Remote Desktop licensing mode configured on a Remote Desktop Session Host (RD Session Host) server must match the type of RDS CALs available on the license server.
Windows Server 2012 R2 Downgrade Kit Offerings
If you're not ready to run the latest operating system from Microsoft, Lenovo offers downgrade kits from Windows Server 2012 R2 to either Windows Server 2012 or to Windows Server 2008 R2. This allows you future access to the latest software features of Windows Server 2012 R2, while letting you run your familiar Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2008. The Windows Server 2012 R2 downgrade kits include both Media and Activation Keys. When downgrading from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2012 or to Windows Server 2008 R2, the licensing rights of the Windows Server 2012 R2 product is maintained.